St. Osmond’s, Evershot
Evershot village has about 200 inhabitants and is the second highest village in Dorset. It has Sticklands Primary School, shop with post office, an active church, several small businesses, Little Acorns children’s playgroup and Village Hall. There are 19 families with children in the village; more children than in 2009!
St. Osmond’s Church dates back to C12th, and was restored by the Victorians in 1864. It is involved in the Summer Country Fair (fete), provides a Harvest Supper for the whole community attended by about 60 and runs a Christmas party for the local community. Carol singing takes place around the village helped by members of the Yeovil Town Band.
Prayer takes place in church once a month with up to 6 of the congregation attending. There is a soup lunch and Bible study on the fourth Sunday of each month held jointly with Halstock and about 8 people usually attend. The Church provides two services a month alternating with Melbury Osmond. It provides a Christingle service in early December and a very well attended Carol Service on Christmas Eve.
A Re-ordering Project has commenced with a view to installing a toilet, improving the lighting and heating, and making the serving of refreshments easier at the end of a service.
Mrs Pippin Campbell: 01935 83366
Mrs Rosemary Benson: 01935 83562